Screens, their exposure and their impact on anyone who utilizes them are creating both opportunities and challenges, especially with children.
The educational expectations, however, are changing technologically and coding is quickly becoming considered a vital language to learn and explore. Navigating the balance of opportunity while protecting students from unintended consequences of excessive screen time can be daunting.
Therefore it becomes vital to also nurture a child’s sense of creativity, spontaneity, and collaboration while giving them screens exposure.
Here are 7 tips to control or monitor screen exposure time of kids.
1. Encourage technology literacy.
2. Discuss students’ digital footprints. Converse the pros and cons of screen exposure.
3. Engage in conversation on digital safety
4. Schedule a consistent daily routine
5. Assess them while they practice
6. Have open conversations about the merits and demerits of excessive exposure.
7. Encourage students to set their own screen time rules. This will give them a perk of being the decision-maker thus carrying the responsibility more considerably.; However mentoring is still necessary.
But with an emphasis on reducing screen time, it is still imperative that one must allow students to explore this new world and scientific learning that computers, iPads, phones and other devices give them.